Thursday, October 28, 2010

Data Analysis

It must be that my district is in trouble. We collect data on nearly everything. My only complaint is that it is so time-consuming that I contend it gets in the way of quality teaching. We do not just grade tests. We take the data and look at who passed, who failed, who needs intense remediation, etc. I am all for data; I am, however, not for looking for problems and poring over the same numbers every week.

At one point, it has been said our bi-monthly lesson plans will reach thirty pages. It will include lesson plans and data on testing, planning, remediation, reteaching, test preparation and similar ilk. I worked for a large district last year. We had none of the headache and hassle. This district, as small as it is, pours money into everything that is bright, shiny, and new, seemingly to no avail. I would prefer to just work with my students, gauge where they are personally, and not have administrators breathing down my neck. It does not take a genius to tell me my students struggle with reading. nor was it necessary to waste instructional time having every child in the school take reading tests. The teachers know where they are and are familiar with the population. The students openly confess: reading brings them no great pleasure. They dread it in class. The students are aware of the data. They notice the lesson plans are “big.” They are professionals at filling out bubble sheets.

Another note that bothers is the constant need to plan ahead. Now that we are in reteaching mode at the schoolhouse, I must submit data for what I will be teaching on remediation Wednesdays based on last nine weeks’ data. It is all so much to do. I hope to be future-focused on my job. But so much of the future involves looking to the past. Yes, the state test is well-nigh important. We stress about it so much at work, the kids notice and begin to stress about it also. Testing has its place. Data has its place. When it becomes cumbersome to the point the kids complain about it, I worry about it. There was a time when children simply learned. My kids now remind of what to bring to Instructional Strategies. Further, they let me that the faculty meeting starts at 2.55 pm. They keep track for me. Two of my students are office assistants and keep me updated on what new data analysis is needed for the upcoming week(s). In short, the data says it all: I am nearly drowning in data.

No comments:

Post a Comment