Saturday, September 11, 2010

First week in the Mississippi Teacher Corps

First week in the Mississippi Teacher Corps
Jun 6, 2010 Post a comment
The hopes and fears are always the same, at least for me, when setting foot on a large college campus. The questions remain the same; the nerves set in. Alas, my first day in Oxford, MS as a cohort in the Mississippi Teacher Corps (MTC) was no different than my first day on the campus of the University of Memphis four years ago. The questions were still there; the nerves crept in. But Oxford was and is different, for all the right reasons.

After a short drive from Memphis, TN, I reached campus Sunday, May 30. Ready to tackle those ever-present hopes and fears, I waited and dawdled until the moment arrived: Introductions on Tuesday, June 1, 2010.

The people in the cohort have such varied backgrounds and a wealth of experiences that it is rightly dizzying. The people in the class of 2010, thus far, are friendly and receptive. After hearing of their undergraduate institutions, I was intimidated. In this cohort are alumni from Harvard, Amherst, Pepperdine, etc. I steel myself on a near-daily basis. Introductions went smoothly. The requisite hidden fact/talent portion either serves to enlighten or amuse, I can never be sure.

Moving on, Dr. Mullins, the co-founder of MTC, took the cohort on a tour of the campus. It goes without saying that a college in the South must have some painful chapters in its history concerning race. Ole Miss is, of course, no different. The good news is that Mullins and the school embrace the university's history, warts and all. For every triumph, there must be a tragedy. I recall hearing of James Meredith's arrival. That it was tinged by riots and murder makes it all the more indelible. For every joy, there must be a sorrow. Ole Miss, while embracing diversity and taking steps toward racial reconciliation, rests in a town that is also home to a populace that embraces Dixie and the Rebel Flag just steps away from the campus. Mullins's tour convinced me that there are miles to go on this educational journey.

Next, the movies shown with past alums were testaments that the program works and changes lives for the students and the teachers. Coupled with Buck Cooper's "Deficit Model," the combination cannot be denied. The MTC is breaking down barriers and implementing student successes. That many of Mississippi's students are written off is appalling; that members of the Corps can tear down shameful appellations hurled at the state's students and provide quality education in sometimes the worst circumstances is altogether thrilling. Once more, I know I am in the right program.

Meeting the second years was a joy within itself. They are the survivors. They are those who made it to year two. Bruised and battered, they march on. The second years have the tales to tell and the scars to show. They can recount the wily principals, the broken copiers, the combative students, all with a knowing smile and a furtive glance. They are skilled and ready to impart whatever they know to prepare the cohort for the first year.

Finally, Dr. Monroe, the instructor for the graduate classes, is knowledgeable and affable. Her lectures are practical and always include real-world examples. She contends that she models for us. And we should do the same with our students. I cannot find fault with her reasoning and hope to implement her guidelines in the classroom.

In sum, my first week went by quickly. I doubt the summer will do so. There will be days I want to end subito; others, I hope will go on and on. Such has to be my journey in the MTC. I have stepped out of my safe, cautious world and entered one where the unexpected is more than welcome. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment