Thursday, September 23, 2010

Is the Teacher Fair?

Based on the anonymous replies, the answer is a resounding and solid no. The students did not consult one another; and many of the responses were similar. No, I am not an onerous monster. But I do expect my students to follow the rules at all times. The results are as follows:

19 students tallied
16 answered no
3 answered undecided

The pervasive theme was that I give warnings and writing assignments without cause. My rules are simple. They are defined thus: when a student speaks without permission, he is given a verbal warning; when this occurs twice, said student is given a writing assignment.

Next, the students contend I play favorites. This has some truth. I find myself picking the same students to pass out papers. These students though are efficient. They do it quickly and quietly to the point where no instruction is given to them on the process. The students desperate to pass out papers are those who skip entire rows of students, miscount, and chat along the way.

Another point of contention is that Mr. Farmer plays opera. No sensible black man would listen to opera. That I am from Memphis, the students suggest, means I should be hardcore and hate opera. I put it another way: the kids are listening to Mozart and Verdi, something other than the norm, what they are used to.

The students write I speak in Spanish. While I do have a Spanish-speaking student in class, the words are not for him. I speak in Spanish in class so that I may keep my job. In times of frustration (mostly with administrators), I let loose. I now use either French or Italian. But with my luck, one of my lambs summers in Paris every year.

Further, the children argue I am rude because I cut them off. They are sixth graders. They will try to take you bird walking every day. I will not lose instructional time on petty questions. I cut them down quickly, with no qualms about it. My students know they can file complaints in the suggestion box, which is conveniently located in the front of the room below the light switch or behind the door. One finds the box is filled with pencil shavings, tissues, and unwanted scraps of paper.

Finally, the kids say I won’t let them do anything. I rarely believe a student. Students lie. I seldom put faith in the stories they tell. Sixth graders will lie to you just as soon as look at you. One student said she doesn’t lie because she is a Christian. Sadly and regrettably, I could not contain my laughter.

In short, in the mind of a child, not having one’s way is akin to the Teacher (read: aggressor) being unfair. This is school. It is a job. I’ll do mine; the students will do this—or face a consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment